Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Loss of a great friend

The World lost one of the greats, Michael Blankartz was a loving father, and friend to all. I met Mike when I was about 15 I remember a very skinny kid approaching me replying in a squeeky voice "Hey man my names Mike, you like fifteen too" from there on out we were friends. I remember all the highschool/adolescent memories being with him and that I'll always cherish. It's the smallest things that mean the most, like cruising around in the bug smoking weed out of apples, Drinking listening to propagandhi and the criminals at Carlos' party's and talking about what girls we kissed, going to spare change shows and watching Michael pulling off some extra ordinary moves and not caring haha, Camping trip madness, Ditching last period to make burritos and having his mom yell at us, Halloween 98 & 99 singing misfits covers roaming the streets with brandon, me and carlos, Seeing fifteen in Poway having the time of our young lives, Mike always passing out first and writing on his face, There's so many memories but my mind is scrambled with disbelief and sadness.
The most important thing is Mike was a caring person to all even in his youth when most of us were rebellious, and negative; he was kind and aware. I never once heard a negative thing about him except that maybe he was a little bit of a heart breaker, we can't all be so lucky. I was fortunate enough to know him in his early years and watch him transform into an individual with wisdom beyond his years. I came to see him just before his European backpacking trip and I could already tell he was changing into something all of us wouldn't understand until we were much older, or maybe some of us will never get. He told me "Don't you just feel sick of all this routine and concern with everyone so absorbed in it all" I just told him yeah man haha have a good trip. I didn't understand how someone so young could be fed up with hanging out with your friends so I gave him my Avail cds for his discman and bid him farewell. Upon returning from his trip he was a different man in a good way looking back now,he was now a man of god ( which we all give him crap for) and paving his way while we were still concerned with hanging out. I very seldom saw Mike over the next few years but one of my favorite memories is in that time period.
He had told me about a girl named Renee he had been hanging out with I told him "the only Renee I ever knew was a girl I went to elementary school named Renee Simmons" he said no way That's her name. I met her a few days later and sure enough it was her, and I had gone with Mike to drop her off and as soon as she closed the door he told me...."I really like that girl, I bet you I'll marry her" I laughed only because while Mike was a hopeless romantic it seemed it was just that hopeless haha, so when I found out they were getting married and having a child I'm glad I ate my words.
I again lost touch with Mike over the next few years but we always seemed to pop into each others lives at the right time, I remember hearing yet again that squeeky voice calling to me at hollywood video "Darel McFadyen" instantly I knew and replied " Michael Blankartz" with a smile. This to me is the moment I saw him in his prime and met his first daughter. The two things I remember most was his daughters eyes and his smile, and they way he held her with such care and content. Michael being the proud father and friend he was offered for me to hold her and me being the shy intimidated person I am insisted that I don't, we both settled on a little had hold. I told him congrats on the beautiful daughter and life he had going for him and he told me "it was nice seeing you and I'll see you soon" I walked away thinking we had all the time in the world to catch up, that was the last time I saw him and ever will.
Even though my eyes are welling up, and the lump in my throat grows greater in size with each line and thought,I'll never forget Michael he was one of the better people I knew and he'll always be remembered. I loved him dearly and took him for granted but he never did to us he always told me what a great friend I was and how much he cherished our friendship. My heart goes out to his mom, dad, sister,Brother, friends, family, 3 little girls, and wife. He was a punk rock kid, and a great man, but more importantly my friend. We definitely lost one of the greats!
Michael Blankartz-
Love you- r.i.p.

1 comment: